Explore the Secrets of Mountain Witchcraft: Volume 1
Discover the wisdom and magic of Appalachia through Mountain Magic, an illustrated guide to the occult power of the hills and hollows.
The people of Appalachia and the American backwoods have a long and deep magical tradition, one rooted in the power of place, land, and nature. With creativity and ingenuity born of necessity, Appalachian witches built and sustained a wealth of magical knowledge drawn from European, Native American, and African American folk magic. Guided by an expert witch and forager Rebecca Beyer, you can explore the wisdom of this powerful place:
- Learn medical and magical uses for common plants and herbs
- Meet the traditional magical practitioners of Appalachia, from Blood Stoppers to Water Witches
- Delve into a wealth of charms and curses, from witchballs to love workings
- Follow the lore of the stars and seasons to grow and thrive
Some of the magic and culture you will encounter in this enchanted guide include:
- Magical lore surrounding the weather, seasons, and the movements of the moon and stars
- Recipes for a tonic salad to move the blood in springtime and a cleansing spicebush tea
- Profiles of the medicinal and magical properties of some essential mountain plants, including ginseng, blackberry, poke, sassafras, and mullein
- Charms to protect from evil, including witch bottles, a holly twig charm, and the SATOR ROTAS square
With this beautifully illustrated guide, you can bring the wisdom and magic of the backwoods to meet the challenges of modern life, building a magical practice that's fueled by ancestral traditions and the nourishing power of the natural world.
The Modern Folk Magic series offers accessible and engaging introductions to folk magical traditions from a fresh, modern perspective. Linking the current enthusiasm for magical practice back to the deeply rooted magical traditions in the United States and elsewhere, the titles in this series give depth and cultural meaning to the practice of witchcraft. These beautiful books serve as hands-on guides for learning and practicing folk magic, from authors who are experts in these traditions. Check out the other books in the series including Hoodoo Magic.
About the Author
Rebecca Beyer is an Appalachian Folk herbalist, Traditional Witch, and wild food forager dedicated to living simply on the Earth. She has taught and presented at universities, conferences and gatherings over the last 10 years with the hope of showing people that living a seasonal life grounded in connection with the Old Ways is possible. Through growing, foraging, hunting, fishing and preserving her own food, she strives to create a life as close to her ancestors as possible while paying homage to the diverse peoples who created beloved Appalachia.
She makes her living tattooing, teaching foraging and Appalachian folk herbalism and craft classes at her school, Blood and Spicebush School of Old Craft. Rebecca currently spends her days dedicating herself to Appalachian folk arts, primitive skills, folk music and learning the names of all the beings she shares her bioregion with.
Pick Up, Shipping + Returns
We ship worldwide and do also offer click + collect.